domenica 17 giugno 2012

The taste of contaminating

"Music is pretty much like cooking – you use ingredients. in music, the (main) ingredients are: melody, tone harmony & rhythm. that’s the same for johann bach or for joey beltram. these elements flow through the musical continuum since the beginning of time and continues to be present in the exact same way in the most avant-guard music today. it’s funny to me that we keep separating styles the way we do, we even speak about different worlds… in my understanding, music is universal, it is all one world.

I love the stillness in a concert hall and I love the out-of-controlness in a club. but I like to go the other way too.. it might not be easy to achieve, but when the audience in a concert hall gets out-of-control, or a dancing audience in a club hears something intriguing and listens up – these are truly crazy and great sensations. the truth is, I never know what to expect. I need this element of surprise, even for myself. in any case, performing music is a sort of communication with the audience… the energies can be very different but always rewarding.

 For one thing, classical music the way we understand it today has absolutely nothing to do with the way the classical composers perceived it. bach, mozart, puccini – these guys never thought about writing classical music. on the contrary, they were writing contemporary music! most composers were also performers, and one rarely performed music form the past. now, since the 20th century, playing classical music means playing music of the past – music by past away composers. an anachronism! when I play the music of Carl Craig, or Luciano Berio, I play the classics of my time. when I play the old composers like Bach or Mozart, I like to feel them exactly the same way – like contemporaries. the musical experience is a changing one. the musical scores don’t carry the same meaning now as they did 200 years ago. our society is changing rapidly too. who are we to determine what is classical, and what is not… in a way, performing music is always a contemporary because it’s about hearing it now, this very moment. unless one wants to live with the idea of a piece… my feeling is that all music is timeless, like I said before, it is one long musical continuum and as artists, we are all part of this musical experience, we keep reinventing it every minute. I don’t see why I should waste my time anymore with labels like ‘classical’, ‘techno’, ‘pop’ etc. and like I said, mozart never, ever wrote a classical piece".


(Francesco Tristano extracted in an interview on Soundwall)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...